Fill Out the Form Below to
Schedule Your Complimentary
Consultation & Skin Analysis!
Fat grafting is a minimally invasive cosmetic procedure that harvests fat from one part of your body to be used as filler material in another part of the body. In the same way that dermal fillers (such as Juvederm) are used to plump lips, fill wrinkles, and plump facial cheeks, fat can be used instead and may be much longer lasting. Fat grafting can also be an alternative to implants in areas such as the buttocks, face and in the future - breasts.
There are several benefits to fat grafting as compared with implants and/or dermal fillers:
- Fat grafting will not cause an allergic reaction
- Fat grafting is safe and cost-effective
- Fat is a natural, living filler
- No risk of distortion of the lips or cheeks as with some dermal fillers
- Fat is more permanent than manufactured fillers
- Most of us have plenty of fat available
- Grafted fat becomes part of living tissue permanently
These are the areas in which fat grafting can be quite effective
- Face: cheeks, temple areas, forehead, brows, corners of the mouth, lips, laugh lines, jowls, jaw line and chin
- Eyes: to correct hollows under the eyes and to correct crow’s feet
- Scars: to fill depressions from acne, trauma or surgery
- Hands: to fill the backs of hands due to aging
- Buttocks: as filler for a more plump derriere
- Liposuction: to fill small defects from liposuction procedures
- Breasts: instead of saline or silicone implants (future use)
If you are physically healthy, psychologically stable, and have realistic expectations, you will be a good candidate.
How the Procedure is Performed
Fat grafting procedures are performed either under local anesthesia, if a small area is to be treated, such as filling a scar, or general anesthesia for larger areas. Fat grafting procedures are performed in our Boca Raton accredited in-office surgery suite on an outpatient basis. Fat grafting is actually a multi-step process: first the fat is collected via liposuction. It is then separated from the liposuction fluid. The fat is then injected into the desired area(s) using a blunt needle.
What to Expect During Recovery
Immediately after the procedure, you may experience some redness and mild swelling in both the grafted area and the donor area. This generally resolves quickly. Most of our patients resume normal activities the same day or within a few days if very large areas were grafted.