If you’re unhappy with the size or shape of your breasts, the self-esteem issues that accompany that discontent can be hard to deal with. You deserve to feel confident about the appearance of your breasts and be comfortable with your body. Breast augmentation is the most popular plastic surgery procedure in the United States, and it could help give you the body you’ve always wanted.
At Sanctuary Plastic Surgery, Dr. Jason Pozner is one of South Florida’s premier plastic surgeons. He is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has made the practice his life’s work. Dr. Pozner serves Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and surrounding areas of South Florida. Call (561) 367-9101 today to schedule a consultation.
Featured on Plastic Surgery Channel: “Does Where You Live Determine Breast Implant Size?”
Benefits of Breast Augmentation
There are numerous reasons to undergo breast augmentation, such as:
- To achieve a more attractive breast size and shape
- To improve your self-esteem and body image
- To correct asymmetrical breasts
- To restore breast volume lost following pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding
- To enhance the appearance of cleavage
- To have a more attractive appearance in swimsuits and lingerie
Am I a Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Generally, breast augmentation candidates are:
- Over the age of 18
- In good overall health
- Realistic about their expectations for the outcome of the procedure
- Not currently pregnant or breastfeeding
- Free of cancerous and pre-cancerous breast tissue
If you smoke, you must be willing to quit several weeks before surgery and throughout your recovery. Smoking can negatively impact your healing, and therefore your final results.
Breast Implant Types
Dr. Pozner uses the following types of breast implants:
- Silicone: These consist of a silicone outer shell filled with a silicone gel. They are pre-filled with the gel to Dr. Pozner’s exact specifications based on your needs. They have a more natural look and feel than saline implants, and are less prone to wrinkling, rippling, and rupturing.
- Saline: Saline implants consist of a silicone shell filled with a sterile saline solution. They allow for smaller incisions because the implant is inserted into your breast empty, then filled with the solution. They are more prone to leakage or rupture than silicone implants. If that happens, the saline solution is harmlessly absorbed by your body, and you can correct the problem immediately.
Breast Implant Incision Locations
Dr. Pozner offers three different locations for breast implant incisions, all of which allow your scars to be hidden discreetly:
- Inframammary: The incision is placed in your breast crease, where the scar is hidden in your breast’s natural fold.
- Periareolar: The incision is made around your areolas, where the scars are hidden in the darker skin around your nipples.
- Transaxillary: The incisions are placed in your armpits, so there is no scarring around your breasts at all.
Breast Implant Placement Options
Dr. Pozner uses two different placements for breast implants:
- Subglandular: The implant is placed beneath the breast gland and above the pectoral muscle. Dr. Pozner recommends this for women who are athletic and don’t want their implants to interfere with their chest muscles. It also has a faster recovery time.
- Submuscular: The implant is placed underneath your pectoral muscle. It has a lower risk of capsular contracture, a rare complication in which the scar tissue contracts around the implant. It may also deliver more natural-looking results for women who are thin or have minimal natural breast tissue.
The Breast Augmentation Procedure
Your breast augmentation will be performed under general anesthesia on an outpatient basis in our accredited state-of-the-art surgery suite.
Dr. Pozner will make your incisions and place your implants according to your needs, then close the incisions with dissolvable sutures. The procedure should take between one and two hours.
Recovery After Breast Augmentation
You should arrange for someone to drive you home after your surgery. There will be some pain and swelling for a couple of days after surgery. Soreness and swelling may last up to several weeks.
You’ll wear a compression garment to provide support and reduce swelling until Dr. Pozner clears you to start wearing sports bras. It’s critical to support your breasts as your implants settle. The sooner your swelling subsides, the sooner you’ll be able to get fit for new bras.
This is a general timeline of breast augmentation recovery:
- 1-2 weeks before you can return to work
- 30 days before you can wear a sports bra
- 6 weeks before you can resume exercise and other strenuous activities
- 3 months before you can wear underwire bras
Schedule Your Consultation at Sanctuary Plastic Surgery
We would love to talk more with you about your own personalized treatment at Sanctuary Plastic Surgery. With your own private consultation, our team of extraordinarily skilled and dedicated plastic surgeons will be able to recommend the right treatment plans for your unique goals and concerns. With our office in Boca Raton, men and women in Florida can achieve the most natural and elegant results. Call 561-367-9101 to schedule your consultation.